Grants Purpose and Eligibility
- Grants are available for:
- To qualify for any STC grant:
- UC law must be certified under Section 3304, FUTA, and Section 303, SSA;
- STC law must:
- Conform to Section 3306(v), FUTA; and
- Not be subject to discontinuation.
- A state must have submitted an application for an implementation/improvement grant to be eligible for a promotion/enrollment grant.
- Programs in states with new STC laws must become effective with 12 months of certification for grant receipt.
Grant Amounts and Use
- Secretary of Labor is authorized to use 0.25% of the $100 million to provide outreach and share best practices for STC.
- Each state’s share of the remaining $99.75 million is based on its proportionate share of FUTA taxable wages on 10/1/19. UIPL 22-20 Attachment IV.
- States must submit complete applications by December 31, 2023.
- A separate application must be submitted for each grant, and each application must include:
- Copy of state STC law and explanation of its conformity to Section 3306(v), FUTA;
- Cover letter signed by the state agency administrator;
- Narrative description of funding request and a detailed project plan, including a quarterly timeline for all activities;
- Description of quarterly and cumulative goals and desired outcomes resulting from the grant;
- Assurances that state will follow grant requirements, submit required reports, recover any overpayments, and monitor approved plans and payments, and
- Forms 424 and 424A.
- Implementation or Improved Administration applications must also include:
- Any planned infrastructure improvements (e.g., automation/operational upgrades), and
- Any plans to hire/train staff.
- Promotion/enrollment applications must also include:
- Any plans to create/support Rapid Response teams, education or assistance to employers, and outreach tools;
- Description/copy of MOU between UI agency and appropriate workforce system partners, and
- Description of how the state will sustain activities that were funded by the grant.
- Secretary will notify state within 30 days of receipt of a complete application if it met requirements for grant receipt.